What is a Microchip?
A microchip is a device that allows the identification of your pet, on many different cases.
The size of a grain of rice, the Micro Chip should be introduced, using own sterile needle, under your pet’s skin on the left side of the base of the neck.
It can be applied in dogs, cats, rodents and exotic animals.
The microchip should only be applied by a veterinarian.
THE APPLICATION OF MICROCHIP IS MANDATORY FOR ALL ANIMALS BORN AFTER JULY 1, 2008, ACCORDING TO DECREE-LAW NO. 313/2003 OF 17 DECEMBER. UNTIL THEN ONLY WAS MANDATORY IMPLEMENTATION IN THE GROUP OF ANIMALS CONSIDERED POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS.
What are the advantages of Microchip?
In applying microchip by your veterinarian, is filled a complete form including your personal data
- Full name,
- telephone contacts
your pet’s data
- date of birth
as well as data from your veterinarian.
This record will be registered in one of the two existing entities in Portugal:
- (SIRA) in the case of the Veterinarians Union database (SIRA), when the disappearance of an animal, a communication is made to the Veterinarians Union issuing a circular with number of chip and animal data the missing all veterinary clinics.
- (SICAFE) was created by the State Identification System Canines and Felines (SICAFE) laying down requirements for electronic identification of dogs and cats as pets, and your registration in a national database.
All Veterinary authorities have a reader Microchip, allowing detection and identification of an unknown animal.
Advantages to having Microchip:
- Prevent and combat the abandonment of animals
- Control the detention of dangerous and potentially dangerous animals, thus controlling the breeding of unregistered breeders.
(Animals belonging to this group, they follow more restrictas rules – contact us for more information)
- Lets find and identify your pet in case of loss, leak or accident.